Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

{A Quiver Full}

"You have five brothers? And you're the only girl? YOU POOR THING."

There are few things that thoroughly frustrate me. One would be the ever occurring reference to my 'youthful looks'. I don't look my 25 years and frequently get mistaken for a high schooler, or asked what my plans for college look like. This one has taken me years to formulate a gracious response to, when disclosing my actual age. The only upside to this situation is seeing the looks of surprise on faces. It's almost worth it. Almost.

Most recently is the reference to my band of brothers and the assumption that I am absolutely miserable being the only female and have barely made it thus far without breaking down, or turning into a 'boyish girl', or being treated as 'one of the guys'. Be it known: this is furthest from the truth.

I dearly love my brothers and they dearly love me. I am treated as a lady and with great respect. I've never been consider by them as 'one of the guys', but rather as a welcome addition.

My five brothers protect, defend and watch out for me. Actually, to the point of frustration. Actually, it's sweet.

I would rather spend time with my brothers than anyone else. All five of them have a subtle, sarcastic sense of humor and are intellectually strong. They're all brilliant (no, really). I mean, who wouldn't want to hang out with guys like that?

Each one loves the Lord with their whole heart and strives to honor Him with their lives. They are theologically sound; they know their Scripture and they know their Savior.

One guy is a God-honoring lawyer in the making; one is a happily married photographer and IT extraordinaire. One fellow is a mathematical genius and musician with some theological know up his sleeve. Another is a quiet strength that leads by example and another is the sweetest all-American, tried and true, patriotic Boy Scout you'll ever meet.

I am not a POOR THING by any means. I am a RICH WOMAN and am proud of all five of my men.

"Sons are a heritage from the Lord; children are a reward from Him. Like arrows in the hand of the warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man who's quiver is full of them. They will not be ashamed when the contend with their enemies in the gate." Psalms 127:3-5

(note: a 'quiver full' is five arrows!)

No comments:

Post a Comment