Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

{Spring Break Book List}

On my spring break I shall be curling up with this lovely stack of books, all recommended by my bookish friends :)I am pretty ashamed with myself for not reading as much throughout the winter! Armed with this reading list, I intended to redeem myself.




The List:

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

This is a Greek myth retold. I really dislike any thing Greek and mythology is rather creepy and odd to me, but I have been trying to read all of C. S. Lewis's books and when I came to this myth I actually really enjoyed it. It's a very good story about two princess sisters; one is a gorgeous goddess and one is an ugly mortal. It's kind of deep (classic Lewis)... The struggles between sacred and profane love...a good story.

You Can Farm by Joel Salatin
Yes you can! It's more about owning and managing a farm based business. Very witty.

The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heat of God by John Eldridge
Self-explanatory :)


The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
This book is set in the time of Jesus and Romans. It is a little slow to begin with but stick with it...


The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Another by Elizabeth. About the Salem Witch Trials.


Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
This is a great story with several sub-plots and very unexpected twists and turns. I normally am not a fan of Dickens since all his works are very dark and his characters are soo weird. But a friend recommended that I watch the PBS series and I loved it so much that I read the book.

Also, loaded on the Kindle is Bleak House by Charles Dickens and on the iPod is Women in White by Wilkie Collins.

Give me a porch swing and a glass of lemonade.


What are your book recommendations? I'd love to see what you are reading! Leave a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, it's interesting that you post this now! I was just thinking I need to borrow some C.S. Lewis from someone; I am in want of a good story. Any suggestions? I've heard that Redeeming Love is good; have you read it? I just started reading When People are Big and God is Small, but that's not story at all. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this is a great list! E. Speare is one of my all time favorite authors, not to mention Dickens...
    Till we have faces is a great read, too, I had to read it several times through the years to grasp more fully the allegory of it (which is incredible) - but that's because I read it first when I was pretty young. My next book to buy is a Salatin one, the only question is which one. You'll have to tell me how it goes! This list is inspirational to me; I'm going to make my own official one now. ~ TX transplant

    ReplyDelete
  3. flybygrace: I have not read Redeeming Love! Sounds good. Screwtape Letters is a story by Lewis; I think you'd like it.

    txtransplant: I started the Witch of Blackbird Pond last evening and I'm loving her style of writing! Great story, too; I'm really getting into it. Let me know which Salatin book you get. He's got a great sense of humor :)

    ReplyDelete