Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Healthy Home: All-Natural Dishwasher Pods

As part of my Healthy Body, Mind and Spirit makeover, I am adding a sub category: Healthy Home! Each of my endeavors will have two phases. For example, let's say if I was using a generic brand of dish detergent, my first phase would be to convert to an all natural, commercially available brand (i.e. 7th Generation) and the second phase would be to make my own detergent from scratch. In some areas, I already use an all-natural brand, so then my next step would be to jump in and make my own.

And that's the case here, so last night I got out all of my ingredients to make Citrus Dishwasher Pods! 

I am not a fan of powdered dish detergent because I am guilty of (more than once!) spilling it all over the kitchen floor. The pods keep it all intact and are pre-measured for easy-peasy dish cleaning.
I found this particular recipe on Tammy's blog. I made a small test batch as seen here and halved her recipe. You could easily double or triple the recipe and make enough to last months!

Here's the deal:



Gather your ingredients. I found all of mine at Kroger.

Combine and mix to the consistency of thick frosting. You may need more or less lemon juice to achieve the consistency. (It smelled awful at this point.)

Using a teaspoon or tablespoon (be sure to check your dishwasher and see which size is best to fit your pod in the compartment; I used a tablespoon) scoop and tightly press onto a cookie sheet. If not tightly pressed, they will crumble.


Let dry completely overnight.



Store in an airtight container.

All-Natural Citrus Dishwasher Pods
Small Batch Version

1/2 cup of borax
1/2 cup washing soda
1/4 cup epsom salt
4-6 tablespoons of lemon juice

Mix, scoop, let dry.

Oh! And need a good rinse aid? Hydrogen Peroxide! I'm telling you it works better than vinegar! Just mix a little citrus essential oil with 1/4-1/2 of peroxide and pour in your dishwasher.  

No comments:

Post a Comment