Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

OMG...CSA!

Saturday was a day full of fun!
Guess what I joined? Hint: not a gym.

Months ago, with the recommendations of many friends, I started to follow Twin Maples Farm on Facebook. In my effort to supplement our grocery shopping with fresh, organic food, one of my goals this year was to join a Farm to Family CSA. What's a CSA you ask?


Here's Twin Maples's description:


Community-supported agriculture (CSA; sometimes known as community-shared agriculture) is an alternative, locally-based economic model of agriculture and food distribution. A CSA also refers to a particular network or association of individuals who have pledged to support one or more local farms, with growers and consumers sharing the risks and benefits of food production. CSA members or subscribers pay at the onset of the growing season for a share of the anticipated harvest; once harvesting begins, they receive weekly shares of vegetables and fruit, in a vegetable box scheme. Many CSAs also sometimes include herbs, cut flowers, honey, eggs, dairy products and meat. In theory a CSA can provide any product to its members, although the majority of CSA tend to provide produce and other comestibles. Some CSAs provide for contributions of labor in lieu of a portion of subscription costs.



Twin Maples Farm is a local farm located about 20 minutes from me. There are several folks that I know that are part of TM's CSA  and it was definitely something I wanted to be a part of, too!So Saturday, not three days into the New Year, up pops into my newsfeed that there was an extra share (box of food) this week that was up for grabs. First come, first serve. So I thought, well why not? It's something I want to try and why not give it a test run. When I checked the pickup locations, you'll never guess where one of the drop offs are. My neighborhood.I squealed.She even offered to deliver to my door!OMG!
I was so excited! And for good reason, because I am very impressed with these boxes.


Here's a peek into the box:































I got the half share which is just perfect for us two. (Note: since this was a trial run for me, they just gave me a cardboard box. If I were to purchase a subscription, I would get a sturdy, plastic box that I would exchange weekly.)

This week's box included:
  • half dozen brown eggs
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • loaf of homemade bread
  • bag of spinach
  • bag of chard & kale
  • a few cookies (peanut butter)
The  meats and produce varies according to what is in season. Also, from what I've read on the Facebook group, sometimes a jar of honey, bar of goat's milk soap or a jar of salt is thrown in.

The full share is more appropriate for a family; full dozen eggs, more meat, bigger variety of produce, etc.

I froze the meat, but have used everything else in my box. Very tasty, very fresh :)

If you are interested in Twin Maples Farm, here is their info:



If you are interested in finding a farm co-op in your location, go here:

Are you part of a farm co-op? Is this something that you find beneficial to your family? I would love to hear your experiences!


No comments:

Post a Comment